St Andrew's. St Andrew's is a Grade ll* listed building in the hamlet of St Andrew Major. The church is surrounded by a churchyard within which stands a restored medieval preaching cross, also listed. the Lee Chapel, at the end of the north aisle, was restored in the 1920s. The original medieval Rectory still stands next to the churchyard in the grounds of the 'new' Rectory, now a private house.
St Peter's. St Peter's is a Grade ll listed building in the Vale of Glamorgan. It is situated on low lying ground by the river Cadoxton. Built as a Chapel of Ease to replace the old iron church in the village, the church was consecrated in 1930. the church was designed by John Coates Carter who also designed Caldey Abbey. It is built in a simple medieval style using reclaimed stone from the old ironworks at Cyfarthfa. original plans included a bell tower and north aisle but lack of money prevented these from being completed.
ST ANDREW'S CHURCH
ST PETER'S CHURCH
Consecration took place on October 15th 1930
The east window is the most striking window in the church and was dedicated on October 3rd 1938
Pews and seating
The Choir and Clergy stalls were dedicated on July 2nd 1939 and replaced the original pine seating.
Artist and sculptor, Frank Roper, designed the west window at the behest of Canon James Keane. It was installed in 1987
Foundation stone was laid by Mary Alexander on St Peter's Day 1929
The church of St Andrew stands about a mile from the centre of Dinas Powys. Medieval origins on a site of earlier Christian worship
Built across the centuries, the oldest part is the north aisle. The tower and porch are 15th century additions
The churchyard once contained a Poor House and a Bier house. The ancient Yew appears in the Terrier of 1771
Rector Nathaniel Wells started the registers and installed 5 bells in the tower in 1747.
The church was extensively restored by the Lee family in the late 1800s. The painted chancel ceiling dates from around 1878.